Notes of Croydon, Bromley & Sutton Branch Committee Meeting – 10th Sept 2014

 

Notes of Croydon, Bromley & Sutton Branch Committee Meeting

10th Sept 2014 at “ the Crown & Pepper , 1st Floor meeting room, Croydon”

at 5.30pm.

1. Present.
Harshad Patel
Jim Groux
Bernard Humphrey Gaskin
Bob McCann
Tarsem Flora
Alan Longhurst
Paul Ugwu

2. Apologies for absence.

None

3 Notes of last meeting: 10th July 2014
These were presented for comment. No corrections or comments were made.

Notes were used as a basis of discussions as follows:

4. Student prizes: Jim had gone to the Regional Council meeting held on 2nd
September on behalf of Bernard. Jim had sent an email account of the Regional Meeting.
Jim stated that Region confirmed we as a branch have lost our chance for the £440 student
prize money for this year, along with two other branches. The money has now gone back
into central regional fund. Tarsem did not manage to contact Geoff Mark Sutis of St.Martins,
due to the Summer break.

5. Branch Secretary: Paul Ugwu agreed to become new branch secretary. Bernard
will contact Owen Wainhouse of RIBA Regional Manager, to inform them of the new
appointment, in order that Paul can also have the RIBA branch members list, for mailings

6. “Harry Rich” invitation: Event was arranged to occur after this meeting at
6.30pm.

7. CPD events: It was agreed that all future branch CPD events will occur at “Crown
& Pepper”, 1st floor meeting rooms.

8. Future Programme: Bernard still hopes to visit the local members directly, in
order to get a better understanding of membership requirements. Harshad & Jim agreed to
help with visiting members. The following events were discussed:
.1 “Summer Branch Social” This was a successful event. Members had
turned up that had not been before. Harshad was also encouraged by the positive responses
that were provided by members that stated that they could not attend.

.2 “Party walls for architects” Bernard to do this next week, will send out
the invitations, following Harry Rich’s presentation.

.3 “Project management” Jim to do this presentation. Jim to send
details (via email) to committee, for issue to membership. Date of event is confirmed at
6.30pm Thursday 23rd October 2014 at “Crown & Pepper”.

.4 “Design for flooding” Tarsem to provide a CPD presentation on
this issue. Tarsem to send details (via email) to committee, for issue to membership. Date
of event was agreed at 6.30pm Thursday 27th November 2014 at “Crown & Pepper”.

.5 “CDM new opportunities” Jim stated he has contacted James Mather,
who has confirmed that he is happy to provide a CPD presentation to discuss ‘other
opportunities for architects’. Whilst this may include CDM it will also identify the PM course
offered by James ( which Jim did ). This is the RIBA Certificate in Construction PM and
updates on other issues. Date and time of event still to be agreed, in the New Year.

.6 “Christmas drinks & meal” Committee agreed to have a Christmas RIBA
branch event, starting at the “Crown & Pepper”, then going onto a restaurant. Committee to
agree further details at next meeting. Date of event was agreed at 6.30pm Thursday 11th
December 2014 starting at “Crown & Pepper”. Reminder email to be sent nearer the time.

9. Branch Ideas for the Future:

.1 “Architectural Festival” Committee discussed the possibility of
providing a RIBA independent exhibition for local branch member architects. This could be
combined with a Local Award Scheme. RIBA funding could be applied for. Bob, Tarsem &
Paul agreed to look at this long term initiative.

.2 “Fun day out” Jim to research the possibility of a visit to a “zero
carbon” school project (Crouch Hill), with architect of project to talk, combined with a pub
lunch. Date, time & costs to be advised.

.3 “Workshop event” Committee discussed the possibility of a “share and
learn” workshop event to cover practice issues. E.g how other practices work, plan of work
etc. Committee to look at this next time as a future event. Harshad suggested that we
contact the members to discover what sort of topics that this could cover.

.4 “Building visits” It was agreed that the membership could also be
asked on the buildings that they would want to visit, for the committee to try and make the
appropriate arrangements. Committee to discuss, as future event for next year.

10. Branch Website: Committee were appreciative of Paul’s hard work in this area.
Paul would like the committee members to provide their photographs. It was agreed that the
notes of meetings can be posted to it. Committee agreed that a paid for website would be a
better, and approved that this could happen. Paul to organise the website. The domain name
of the website was discussed, Paul to suggest a few options for the committee to agree.
11. Any other business:

.1 “Lawrence Mawson resignation as secretary”: Harshad had
discussed with Lawrence about the possibility of him staying on the committee. Lawrence is
still thinking about it

.2 “Branch accounts”: Harshad needs to send these to Region, as soon as
possible. Alan stated that the bank is still sending him account statements.

.3 “Meeting notes/minutes”: Jim stated that Region would like to receive
copies of the Branch meeting notes and minutes. It was also discussed, that whole branch
membership can be sent the notes. Bernard to send to Region & members following
approval of minutes by committee.

12. Time / Date / Venue of next committee meeting:

The next meeting will be the Branch AGM

6.00pm Thursday 13th November. 2014

Tarsem’s office (flora + associates), 43 Tamworth Road, Croydon Surrey CR0 1XU

 

 

 

Advertisements